Sunday, February 17, 2013

sunday wod...


today was open gym at cfec, i did a wod from earlier this week that i wasn't able to do because i chose to do a benchmark that day. today consisted of;

3 rounds
150 jump rope reps
21 kb swings 35#
12 pullups
i added one mile run and 1500 m row to my workout. it felt so great and am ready to conquer tomorrow's wod.

i also did my usual grocery store weekly shop and only had time to put all groceries away, make dinner, clean my kale and make a delicious dessert. here's the recipe for the dessert, Cocoa Powder Balls. 

1.5 cups shredded coconut
1/2 cup chunky almond butter
2 tbsp honey
3 tbsp coconut butter
1 tbsp cocoa powder

place all ingredients in a bowl and mix all together. i used my hands, it was very sticky but i felt that all ingredients were mixed well. roll into small balls (ping pong size) and place on parchment paper and into the freezer for at least an hour. indulge. i made about 10 balls, the remaining went back into the freezer, i love the cold and the crunch to them. 

beware these are scrumptious! thanks to james and allison for sharing their recipe.
































i also spent saturday (Little Italy) and sunday (La Jolla) at 2 different farmers market, enjoying mexican fruit cups at both. i can't get enough of these and seek them out all over town. i love the spicy powder they sprinkle on top and finally bought some to make my own. i haven't made one at home yet but i bought cucumbers, mango, pineapple and cantaloupe to make some tomorrow. i'm sure toasted shredded coconut will make it's way on top of my fruit along with a dash of lime, you must try this. 

as a side note lime and mint on fruit is amazing (recipe coming soon). 
i found the spice at our local supermarket.

here was our saturday night dessert. berries with toasted shredded coconut, toasted
slivered almonds and coconut chips. the perfect combo of juicy berries and crunchy coconut/nuts.






is there anything you like to add to your fruit? please share!

2 comments:

  1. First of all, love the cropping of the fruit bowl! It looks fantastic. I need to try this for desert. Where did you find the spice for the fruit? I am going to try the cocoa balls when I feel like spending time in the kitchen again. I think continuously cooking is what I get most burnt out on in this challenge. I need to get motivated again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tajin, the spice for the fruit is at Windmill. And the cocoa balls takes about five minutes to make, they have now become a staple over here. I have now modified the recipe to only one tbsp of coconut butter rather than 3 since I am watching my calorie and fat intake.

    ReplyDelete